RAVENOUS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interested in possibly coming back to AOC...Read this...

2 posters

Go down

Interested in possibly coming back to AOC...Read this... Empty Interested in possibly coming back to AOC...Read this...

Post  HappyKillmore Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:55 am

Yesterday I sent out a bulk email to all of the old forum members explaining some of the changes in the game and seeing if there was any interest in returning. I've received a few replies and even had a couple of people hop on vent with questions. Obviously many of you are still interested in AOC, but are worried that the issues that drove you away before may still be present in the game.

Feel free to use this area to post any questions that you may have and I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge. nerd

P.S. Below is a link to the Ascendant website. They have documented many of their sieges and boss raids. Check it out.

Ascendant

They need some real competition. lol!

RAVENOUS Fencing Ascendant
HappyKillmore
HappyKillmore
Champion of the +1
Champion of the +1

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2008-04-14

http://www.ravenousguild.net

Back to top Go down

Interested in possibly coming back to AOC...Read this... Empty AOC Has it improved??

Post  HappyKillmore Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:06 pm

Here is a post from someone on the AOC forums. It is an unbiased look at how the game has changed since the mass exodus in July.
Here is the link for those that have access to the official AOC forums: http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=178400

"slowpoke
Dark Templar Aquilonian

Cimmeria PvP-RP Random thoughts on returning to AoC.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I reupped my account about a week ago after quitting in June before my first 30 days were up. Let me begin by saying I'm not a Funcom apologist. I thought the launch was an absolute disgrace, made worse by the old game director's spinning.....it was down right insulting. I quit, thinking they would never get this game in any kind of playable state.

I dusted off my level 53 Dark Templar and have him up to 64 already and here are my impressions.

The game is vastly improved. I've run into only one bug, a buff icon from a feat I had specced out of was stuck on my buff bar. I petitioned and a gm had it fixed for me in about 15 minutes.

The graphics were always beautiful but now the engine is actually running well. In fairness I also upgraded my video card from my old 8800 gts 320 to a 260gtx. I am able to run the game on high settings with 8xAA and 16xAF and get excellent frame rates (around 60fps just about everywhere, with Vsync enabled @ 60 mhz refresh). It slows down a bit in Tarantia but still stays above 35-40 fps I would say. One place I have noticed a problem is in the new zone, Ymir's Pass, when I am faced toward the center of the map the frames go way down...weird.

The new zone is cool, the dungeon there is great. I haven't had to grind at all at level 64. I haven't been there but apparently there is a bunch of added/reworked lower level dungeons.

Here are the not so goods.

Item customization...I still am not seeing a ton of new armor/item models. Maybe I am just seeing a lot of people who are just returning but people mostly look like they are wearing the same stuff they did at launch. I have a new helmet and boots but at this point I still have the same mail armor look I had at level 40. The jury is still out on this one for me....

Class balance....with the exception of the PoM, which is toned down and the Necro which is buffed up...the same classes that were gimp at launch are gimp today (Dark Templar) and the same classes that were OP in beta are OP today (ToS). The devs have obviously been hard at work fixing bugs, optimizing, and adding content... balance should rightly take a backseat to those jobs, but I hope they address this issue at some point.

Population. Wow, there is a fraction of the people playing compared to when I left in mid-June. From my search and pop counts there is about 500 people on Cimmeria during prime time. There was usually between 2500 and 3k on when I left. Cimmeria is typically touted as one of the higher pop servers. Server merges are impending and needed. I am seeing a lot of other returning players however so there is potential for life here still. Also, in my opinion, because the game world is smaller than a lot of other mmos's, a smaller pop isn't necessarily that bad a thing, as long as it is within reason.

The last thing I would comment on is the community. When I left in June I frankly thought the community was a cesspool. Although you still have the kids spamming global with every thought that pops into their head (what mmo doesn't?), the commuminity seems a ton better. I have grouped quite a bit and generally had very positive experiences. Lots of friendly people have struck up chats with me in tells over various topics. I have to say the community is greatly improved and now quite good (at least on Cimmeria).

These are the thoughts and observations of one person who never thought Funcom would get it together. I gave AoC another try because I was burned out on WoW and not all that impressed with War. All and all the game is greatly improved. If you are on the fence about giving it another shot...in my opinion it is worth a look and the 15 bucks.

Funcom, you are on the right path...keep up the good work and don't blow it. After that launch you are on double-secret probation...keep your nose to the grindstone.

I don't claim to know everything about the game..heck I don't even have a level 80, haven't seen endgame, or done any seiging. Your opinion may differ, I just tried to give an unbiased and objective review of what I have seen. "
HappyKillmore
HappyKillmore
Champion of the +1
Champion of the +1

Back to top Go down

Interested in possibly coming back to AOC...Read this... Empty Resubbin it up!!

Post  HappyKillmore Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:00 pm

Here are a few more posts from the AOC forums that will give you an idea of what people are thinking of the game as they return:

chubbyone

Resubbin it up!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message is aimed at those that may still be active in reading these forums but dont play or those that have friends that used to play but left.
The game is 100 times better then it used to be. Funcom should issue some type of game or challenge for us to get our real life friends to play,,like a kick ass siege item or something for the top 3 or whatever on each server..................just a thought, bored at work.

===============================================================

Jajaa
Barbarian Aquilonian

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I came back a couple months ago after trying out warhammer and haven't regretted it at all. Once people see how bad other games are then come back to AoC with a much more stable client than it was at release then they won't want to go to another mmo again.

===============================================================

mactaibilis

I actually LOVE this game

One basic rule of statistics is that voluntary response creates overwhelming negative bias. This is most clearly shown throughout the forums - there are no nearly enough positive posts.

I played on release, I thoroughly hated the game - it was awful. I resubscribed two days ago, along with 5 other friends who were in the same bucket as me.

Almost all of my complaints have been addressed, this game is completely killer.

There are still a few minor bugs here and there, and I've seen one broken quest (Demon in the Tree) out of the hundreds I've done.

Good job Funcom, Keep up the good work.

==============================================================

vmnlogan
Assassin Aquilonian

The Amazon Tribe

Wiccana PvE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr00matt
I'm a returning player. I loved the ideas and concepts behind the game, but was extremely disappointed with the state of the game at launch, and even a couple months later.

I just started fresh today and I'm having a blast. Clearly Funcom have stepped up there game, cause they've fixed nearly every issue I had a problem with.

With that being said, is there anything I should be aware of? Problems, misconceptions or whatnot?

Do forum trolls count as problems?

Seriously, glad to have you back in the game. There have been many improvements since launch, and especially in the past few months. The only issues I still encounter daily are related to lack of storage space and wanting social clothing, but I think the clamor has been loud enough, long enough and I would imagine something is coming down the pike soon.

As for play-related issues, a buddy of mine still occasionally spawns below the floor in some instances (mostly group dungeons) and there is still a bug that allows "dead" enemies to get off one or two more shots on you before they drop. If you go into gemcutting, you still need to zone and do the cut while Shield of the Risen is up, or the cut doesn't count toward your cutting quest. At the trader, opening your inventory and the guild bank at the same time causes icons to flicker between images or sometimes show as only an orange square. Other than that, I can't think of any play-related issues.

I haven't had a gray map or an out-of-memory error in months, the combos have been revamped, most classes have had modifications to their feat trees and abilities, and the PvP criminal system (along with those freakin' one-shot master guards) has cut down a bit on some of the more common a$$hattery (I really want that word in the dictionary...). Animation speed and damage differential between female and male characters has been addressed, prices for horses have gone down (for the basic ones at least), and the gem nerf for immunity gems is still in place - a lot of griping about that, but I'd rather have a period during which immunity gems are all but worthless and PvP was based on skill than be facing down someone who has maxed out an armor set to be almost untouchable.

Oh, yeah... The first time you go to the new zone, Ymir's Pass, be patient - it takes a while to load.
Champion of the +1
Champion of the +1

Back to top Go down

Interested in possibly coming back to AOC...Read this... Empty Re: Interested in possibly coming back to AOC...Read this...

Post  Plague Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:52 pm

Well I've been playing on Cimmeria for a long time now, and I think the game can only go up-hill now, especially with the content they're rolling out, nd the plans for the near future.

Once they implement the tower system, I'll see you folks again on Dagoth! I love PvP too much to play on a PvE server right now.
Plague
Plague
Champion of the +1
Champion of the +1

Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Interested in possibly coming back to AOC...Read this... Empty Re: Interested in possibly coming back to AOC...Read this...

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down